Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunflowers

I’ve been watching the sunflowers in our garden with great interest. After the seeds form, my person picks the flower heads and saves them for me to eat in the winter. I get to eat the seeds right out of the flower. If you’ve never tried that, you should. It’s definitely the best way to eat seeds. We had a bit of a scare in the spring when some bad deer came and ate the tops off all the young sunflower plants. You can imagine how upset we were when we discovered almost the whole row of plants with their tops bitten off. What a mean thing to do. I would never go eat the deer’s favorite plants that they had been saving to eat in the winter. Those deer are very rude creatures. I told my person to put a sign in the garden that says “No Deer Allowed,” but she’s not so sure that the deer will be able to read it. Dummies. Fortunately, at the time of the sunflower tragedy it was still early in the season and my person was able to plant more sunflowers and now they are growing very well. I look forward to lots of seed eating this winter.

No comments: