Sunday, October 25, 2009

What’s a parrot to do?

This afternoon I was confronted with a dilemma while I was helping my person hang the laundry. Regular readers of this blog know how much I LOVE laundry. The good part about helping to hang the laundry is that I get to perch on top of the drying rack. Not only is it a comfortable perch, but it’s also covered with laundry. What could be more fun than that? Well, today, just as I was getting ready to perch on top of the clean, drying laundry, I heard a gurgling sound coming from the kitchen. I looked over and saw my friend the coffeepot staring at me with its bright red eye and making the most inviting noises. What parrot can resist the sound of gurgling water? But then there was the drying rack all covered with fresh, clean laundry. Laundry or coffeepot? Laundry or coffeepot? What’s a little green parrot to do in a situation like that? Well, finally I just couldn’t resist all that gurgling, so I flew over to the coffeepot and perched on the counter next to it. Of course, that coffeepot still hasn’t changed its selfish ways and won’t let me anywhere near its water, but it’s still pleasant to snuggle up next to it, feel its warmth, and enjoy the gurgling as the hot coffee drips into the pot. Believe me, I never thought I’d see the day when I’d choose the coffeepot, or anything, over laundry. But we parrots are such unpredictable creatures. Sometimes you just can’t tell what will strike a parrot’s fancy next, even if you are the parrot yourself.

No comments: